Some of us girls like spas. I am not a go-all-out girl who enjoys getting her nails painted every week and her hair done every day, but once in awhile I do very much appreciate a lovely little spa. Here are some ideas for creating your own, homemade spa right at home. How to create a spa at home:
1. Light some candles using adult supervision and permission (of course) in your bathroom to set the atmosphere!
2. Cut up some cold cucumbers to put over your eyes and freeze a washcloth (see recipe).
Recipe for frozen wash cloth: This may sound strange but it's actually wonderfully good for your pores and face. Lightly dampen a wash cloth with water. Put in your freezer for 15 minutes. You will use this in step 5.
3. Make some refreshing spa water.
Recipe for spa water: 3 cups cold water, 6 thin slices cucumber, 2 thin slices lemon, 2 sprigs fresh mint slightly crushed, 1 sprig fresh rosemary slightly crushed and add ice. This is like the stuff they serve at real spas!! Let chill in the fridge until step 6.
4. Soak your feet in warm water. Then, gently exfoliate feet with a sugar scrub.
Recipe for sugar scrubs: combine 1 cup white sugar with 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add 5 drops of essential oil per jar. Try mandarin, peppermint or lavendar essential oil. Stir well. Store in airtight jar. To use: scrub on feet, rinse well with warm water.
5. Create a soothing face mask to pamper your face. You will also need the cold wash cloth from the freezer so pull it out right now. If it has been in the freezer longer than 15 minutes, pull it out.
Recipe for oatmeal face mask: Combine 1 Tbsp. yogurt and 1 Tbsp. oatmeal. Warm a few drops of honey using this method: warm a spoon under hot water for a minute, then add a few drops of honey to the spoon. Stir the honey into the yogurt and oatmeal mixture. Apply the mask to the face and leave on for 10 minutes. Put cold wash cloth (see step 2) on face. If it is very hard, run under a little water. Gently wipe your face with the cold washcloth.
6. Finally, enjoy some spa water (see step 3) that you made!
Pampering yourself is not selfish if done in moderation! It is great and certainly necessary to keep your body clean (the Bible warns against uncleanliness). You can also use this as a way of blessing your little sisters (or big ones!). You can give your little sisters a "spa" and grant them a little pampering as a way to bless them. How fun! For bigger, grown up or married siblings, why not make a blessing package out of it? Simply get a basket and fill it with sugar scrub, a colorful washcloth, a bottle of nail polish, a recipe for face mask and a bottle of fresh spa water! Let them do their own spa for the day -- you've just provided them with all the essentials!!